HTML5: one build fits all?

I started evaluating new game development tools for a few weeks ago. My target was to find out which kind of tools are available for creating games for e.g. HTML5, Android, facebook etc. During the search I happened to find out that there was a Construct 2 jam ongoing at Newgrounds, and realized I did not know anything about the tool. So I installed it to my windows desktop and started to find out how it works. 

Tool itself is quite easy to use, and so far I have created couple of demo HTML5 games that can be run on almost any platform. Tests have been run without problems on linux and windows PCs (using browsers), Nokia Lumia (Windows 8 phone), and couple of Android phones. Earlier I was skeptical about the performance of HTML5 games, but to my surprise at least these specific demos were running smoothly on all tested devices.

Even if I have not much experience on developing game for multiple platforms, I have at least one guideline to share: Keep in mind what input devices you have available on different target platforms. E.g. if game mechanics requires simultaneous use of mouse and keyboard, then it won't probably work properly on touch-screen only devices (or at least player will get very frustrated). The simpler the control is, the more likely it works on different devices. 

Today I started working on small game concept that is intended to run at least on HTML5. If everything goes fine and no major issues are found, I will also make it run on Android. This is just to get experience about publishing game on mobile platform. 

BTW, there is also "week long game jam" ongoing at FGL. The purpose is to create a game on a given theme ("Burning") in one week. Probably I will try to make rapid prototype that fits to the theme and participate to the jam...

-Jussi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unity3D mirror using camera and RenderTexture

Unity3D: Convert Seconds to hh:mm:ss Format

Construct 2: if-then-elseif-else statement